Aptible ssh command size limits

Is there a limit to the size of a command you can run under aptible ssh

I’m attempting to run a rake task that takes a large number of arguments (zipcodes)

Looks like the command is stored in a database column with 255 character limit. We can probably increase that. In the meantime, you’ll probably have to work around it by pushing the args into a script.

Thanks!

Okay so something like

~bundle exec rake export:tasks["$(cat args_list.txt)","an_arg","another_arg"]

or scripting through the rake task?

Now that I think about it, the shelling out to cat prob doesn’t work….

I think the best option would be to run aptible ssh, get a bash prompt, and then run whatever you need to run at that prompt (there won’t be a limit then.)

so you’d run

bundle exec rake lots-of-arguments-that-go-on-forever-and-ever

in the bash session. Shelling out to cat should work, though, if you’ve populated arg_list.txt in your working directory.

Problem is that the output is huge and valuable, so I want to capture it on my dev machine (in response to the aptible ssh approach)

@Philonous…I think I have another option:

just pipe your ssh session to tee, that’ll give you a dump of everything. for example:

aptible ssh --app myapp | tee /tmp/session-dump.txt

you’ll get an interactive session, plus a record of everything in /tmp/session-dump.txt when you’re done

What about timeouts? I have a long running script that I need to execute on my application, but there seems to be a timeout associated with aptible ssh. Is there a way to get around it?

This may actually be controllable client-side.

I don’t think they have a ClientAliveInterval set on aptible ssh by default, but I believe that if you add the following to a $HOME/.ssh/config file on your machine:

TCPKeepAlive yes
  ServerAliveInterval 60

it should keep your connection up, short of a loss of your network connection (or IP change, etc.)