How to set up sentry within an aptible app?

I’d love to set up sentry myself that I can log custom events within the backend of the app I’ve deployed. Is this possible? I saw that the aptible sentry is deprecated - GitHub - aptible/docker-sentry: DEPRECATED - Sentry Docker image, deployable as an Aptible app

Is the reason why sentry hasn’t been updated on the docker-sentry under aptible that it’s just not cost effective to host yourself on Aptible vs just paying Sentry?

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t host Sentry yourself on Aptible but, as always, I recommend reviewing the Is my application a good fit for Aptible? topic to check for common pitfalls.

As described in this topic Aptible used to provide base images but that was before many official images were available. Now we recommend using official images or those provided by the service you want to integrate with.

There is an official sentry image but it appears it was deprecated about three years ago in favor of getsentry/sentry. Using this image as a base and the instructions from the Sentry Self Hosted doc to configure the application should be sufficient to get it running. It looks like the docs they provide assume you’re manually building and deploying from the provided repository using docker-compose so keep that in mind when reading through it.

@mtdutaro - were you able to get sentry up and running on Aptible? I was previously able to deploy 9.1.2 (with some help from Aptible), but that version is so old that it doesn’t have many features I need, so I’ve been trying to upgrade it, but haven’t quite gotten it working yet. A lot of the sentry support is geared towards the docker-compose deployment process, as Josh pointed out.

@joshraker - in using the getsentry/sentry image, do I need to create any other Aptible resources, aside from postgresql and redis (in addition to the sentry app itself)? I’m wondering about things like kafka, symbolicator, zookeper clickhouse, snuba, and relay, that are defined within the docker-compose file.

For reference, the image I’m currently working with is getsentry/sentry:nightly, and I’m getting csrf errors (like described here: All calls to /envelope blocked by CSRF · Issue #598 · getsentry/self-hosted · GitHub), even though my nginx.conf file looks exactly as configured here. I haven’t yet been able to resolve the csrf errors, despite toggling the various sentry and Aptible SSL settings, including for sentry:

SECURE_PROXY_SSL_HEADER = ('HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO', 'https')
SESSION_COOKIE_SECURE = True
CSRF_COOKIE_SECURE = True
SOCIAL_AUTH_REDIRECT_IS_HTTPS = True
SECURE_SSL_REDIRECT = True

and for Aptible, toggling FORCE_SSL on and off.

Appreciate any helpful pointers you can offer here.